Curation 4Ps

Curation: A Literacy of 4Ps

How did this curation series start?

I was inspired by the #blogging28 challenge and a Tweet by Kathleen about keeping up our momentum [post here: Building Momentum] in our blogging. During that series, I realized that a hidden aspect of maintaining topic ideas is curation, of which these posts describes my process.

As I reflect back on my topic research and posting, I realized that four elements comprised this curation:

• Purpose
  • Process
  • Plan
  • Produce

Purpose

• Interest and Passions
    • Curation starts with an interest or passion
      • Example: helping new bloggers keep up their momentum by discovering strategies to curate resources for future topics
  • Own the Filter
    • Curation allows us to control the massive amounts of information surrounding us
    • Curation begins with searching for the information most helpful and relevant to our own needs
    • Curation filters the noise and amplifies the signal
      • Example: filtering out the sources I use in my situation that may work for others
  • Refuse the Fakes; Validate the Authentic
    • Curators dismiss the bots and algorithms and people who feed their streams with a constant barrage of disinformation, misinformation, and useless information
    • Curators validate sources and facts and perspectives, analyzing the information for authenticity and validity.
    • Curators of misinformation diminish civil discourse, the rule of law, and the informed citizenry, all needed for a democracy to flourish; refute them
      • Example: @Edublogs is a business and a community built in sharing in positive ways how to blog — and find one’s voice to share with others
  • Extend Conversations
    • Curation is shared for discussion and ongoing revision and remix to extend and adapt the ideas for other situations and purposes
    • That extension circles back for more reflection and consideration
    • Conversations build on and add value to the work of others to curate and deepen understanding
      • Example: #blogging28 is a positive community helping others find their voice through blogging by asking questions, like Kathleen did.
  • Build Trusted, Open Communities
    • Curators share in spaces where integrity matters, building an open place of welcomed debate and conversation in a trusting community of practice
    • Curation shared spreads awareness and understanding; it encourages discourse that applauds the truth
    • Openness is a choice of the free; it means there will always be the purveyors of misinformation of which curators of truth dismiss through their own work
      • Example:  #etmooc #clmooc are hashtag communities of like-minded people sharing, remixing, questioning, responding to improve their profession and build relationships
      • @Edublogs teacher and student courses are communities to build support and practice in blogging and in each one’s interest area.

Process

• Find
    • Search online and with experts, through bloggers and news and connections, to filter out the information needed for one’s purpose
  • Analyze
    • Analyze the source for author and content validity
    • Analyze for the aspects that meet the purpose
  • Evaluate
    • Evaluate the information according to criteria needed for purpose, including bias and truthfulness
  • Categorize
    • Organize the sources into categories that fit the subtopics and purposes of the curation
  • Consider / Annotate
    • Annotate the analysis, evaluation and categorization to infuse one’s own voice and adaptations that support the purpose
  • Share / Discuss
    • Add value to others’ work by adding your points, interpretations, adaptations
    • Share the remix or summary for further consideration by others
  • Compile
    • Filter the best, format the chosen, and forge a publication that others can access

Plan

• Choose the tools that fit your needs for implementing the process
  • Curators’ processes provide the path for planning the analysis, synthesis, compilation, and production of the curation.
  • Tools provide different ways for gathering, annotating, collecting, reflecting
  • The tools of my planning:
    • Apple Notes: Open on my desk top or device ready for — notes!
    • One Tab: A Chrome Extension that takes all my open tabs and condenses them to one spot in One Tab
    • Evernote: Save websites with notes to Evernote note and notebook on desktop or device
    • Google Keep: Saves websites with notes on desktop or device
    • Browser Bookmarks: Saves websites on desktop or device
    • Diigo: Save websites, highlight, annotate and more
    • Blog as Filter: Save Tweets and websites into a blog post to filter later

Produce

• Curation is a process of constant production
    • Collections, Notes, Annotations, Perspectives, Experiences, Summaries
    • Lists, Drafts, Publications, Presentation
  • Some forms of curations:
    • Blog
    • Publish and Present
    • Aggregate [lists]
    • Distill [Refined filter and annotation]
    • Elevate [Collections and Synthesis of Trends]
    • Mashup [Different ideas pulled together for purpose]
    • Sequence [an order or history to set context]

Curation: Future Ready

Future Ready [a post from 2104] means many things, among them is being aware of information that streams to us — both the valid information and the misinformation. Curation is a skill needed for all of us- and looking at that list, its full meaning meets all of its elements.

Even as I wrote the series, I interrupted the flow as related issues rose up for the purpose of curation. I became aware of more issues and ideas through my connections and research. So the full curation series to date includes:

No matter how well we plan, the information keeps coming– the future is here: Are you ready?

Is curation a future ready skill?

What elements of curation would suggest?

This is a continuation of #blogging28 and my February Goals of which series curation19 is part.

This post is an extension of the resources in my previous posts, especially the work of Harold Jarche and this post on Seek-Sense-Share, where I connected through a comment.

Images by Sheri