WriteOut Birds Eye View

WRITEOUT* AND DAILY CREATE

West to East Above Coulee Dam
behind city hall, white building 
at center left

WriteOut and Daily Create

Today’s WriteOut* includes this Daily Create prompt to “Imagine you could fly like a bird and soar above your home, or place of work. What would you notice from this perspective? Write a haiku to describe the view.

It just so happens I can see that view on a hike behind our city hall. You can see west Coulee Dam [formerly “Engineers Town“], the granite batholith, the old aqueduct, and our beautiful trees. Oh, and that giant concrete structure in the distance, that’s Grand Coulee Dam.

Take a look at the Town of Coulee Dam website to see our town in 1935. In the center picture on that web page, if you count the partial house at lower left as one, then count back towards the hillside along the street leading away towards the hills, then our house is number four.  You can see the aqueduct in the ravine on the right behind the large white building, now city hall. Picture from 1935 of what was then the government town called “Engineers Town.”

It’s a beautiful town to write about, isn’t it? And so, the poem:

Poetry

Birds Eye View

Granite walls hold old
broken aqueduct above
tree-lined streets of town.

Green, gold, orange, red:
bright autumn deters eyes from
immense concrete dam.

Sheri Edwards
10.20.23 293.365.23
Poetry/Photography
West to East Above Coulee Dam
behind city hall, white building
at center left
West to East Above Coulee Dam
behind city hall, white building 
at center left
and poem
on Flickr

National Day on Writing

As I’ve written about during #writeout in poetry about our little town, I share about the lovely little things in life in poetry and a narrative about my day, sort of a memory for my family– the important little and big things. On my other blogs I also share art and issues, as I believe we must “live and let live.” AskWhatElse and Sheri42

And so, Why I Write [along with a few lovely little things], asks National Day on Writing:

I write to express my wonder at the little things that bring pleasant back to the world;
I write to express my hope for justice and peace for all, to live and let live.

Sheri Edwards #whyiwrite #nationaldayonwriting #nationalwritingproject
steps with autumn leaves and Why I Write: I write to express my wonder at the little things that bring pleasant back to the world;
Sheri Edwards
on Flickr

#clmooc #smallpoems #poetry23 #writeout #birdseyeview #whyiwrite #nationaldayonwriting

*JOIN IN!

This post is part of the October WRITEOUT adventure, October 8 through the 22nd, partnership of the National Writing Project and the National Park Service — a choice to enjoy the outdoors with poetry, prose, and parks for Write Out 2023. Organized as a public invitation to get out and create, supported by a series of free online activities, Write Out invites educators, students, and families to explore national parks and other public spaces. The goal is to connect and learn through place-based writing and sharing.  Check out this infographic for the flow of the two weeks.

Learn more and sign up: https://writeout.nwp.org

This is my sixth year with WriteOut with all my WriteOut posts here.