Day 48 A Pocket Filled

A Pocket Filled

Clasp the crag

above the wrinkled sea

oh, my friends

singing by the

pinewood fire

giving a lovely light

sprinkling something

special

like a dozen dreams

swirling words that spread

from the poem in your pocket

to a picture in your head.

Today is “Poem in Your Pocket Day,” a day I’ve celebrated since 2009 when I learned about it, and on which I carry in my pocket these poems:

I love the images, emotions, and memory that these poems give to me, and love to share them with you. My poem for today is a “lifted line” poem, in which I choose lines in a text that resonate with me and arrange them into my own poem. My texts are these four poems– can you see the lines?

I arranged them from a point of holding on, to a gathering around the fire where images are sprinkled in my mind, all from the words that spread from these poems I hold in my pocket.

PROMPT

Today’s prompt is to create your own lifted line poem from texts or poems that you are reading today.

What lines impress an image or feeling onto you? How could you arrange them to show your feeling and meaning from those lines? What will you add?

Resource:

More information on lifted line poetry from Facing History:

Lifted Line Poetry

About this post:

Be safe out there. Find ways to help yourself, your family, and others keep going! We can do this together!

April is time for NaPoWriMo — National Poetry Writing Monthtry a bit of poetry and art to encourage others to be safe with each other. Something short. Something inclusive. Something of spring and hope. #NaPoWriMo/#GloPoWriMo

Poem in Your Pocket Day,” which is April 30th this year.

The Academy of Poets encourages us to write #shelterinpoems. Get some ideas there and share your own.

Tons of information can be found at Poets.orgNational Poetry Month and here: Virtual Programs.

National Council of Teachers of English also offers suggestions here.

Tune in to Glokel Yokel DS106radio for inspiration.

2 Comments

on “Day 48 A Pocket Filled
2 Comments on “Day 48 A Pocket Filled
  1. I said these first lines over and over, out loud (the dog wants to know why) and I just love the flow and sound …

Clasp the crag
    above the wrinkled sea

Kevin