Delightful As Is

Writing Inspiration

Today I chose to write about our walk yesterday— where the spring flowers dazzled us as the brown of winter slips away and we are renewed! As I passed the dwarf daffodils, I knew this delight is what I wanted to write about today.

Writing Process

Again, I’m writing about the place— the season— the scene— and the emotions. In this case a delight to discover a miniature version of the larger delights in most years. As I write in my Notes App on my iPad, I am cognizant of the sounds of the words— the repetition of sounds that help the flow and connection of words to ideas of language. I try for strong verbs. I write whatever comes to mind as it happens. As I reread, I check the verbs and the sounds— consonant or vowel— it depends on which words best fit. In these writings this week, I try to use more words rather than less— but in the sense of describing the scene, rather than a specific word. For example, instead of writing the trees filled with green buds —- I wrote “triangles of chartreuse tightly bound” to create those colors that drew us forward and let the reader think “bud.”

Here are some of my thoughts:

Poetry

Delightful As Is

It was the color yesterday that grabbed us, pulling our eyes from one yard to the next. The sun shone in the grass and along sidewalks in the yellow rays of daffodil petals.

The warm breeze pulled our hair so we wore hats, but the bright day needed no jackets.

Drawn ahead by the next delight, we found more daffodils and the uniquely pressed stems of iris, still without buds. Johnny JumpUps and crocus graced the green grass with puffs of purple. Trees displayed triangles of chartreuse tightly bound, waiting for a bit of warmer weather to open.

But I walked back to the delicate dance of nodding dwarf daffodils, such marvelous miniatures of the usuals lining the sidewalks— perfect portals for finding a fairy’s wee world, don’t you think?

Daffodils delight,
yet dancing dwarves draw us in,
dazed in a soft spell.

Sheri Edwards
040322 094.365.22
Poetry/Photography

Your Turn

Part One

Take a walk and let the scenery draw you to the next place. What is capturing your attention? Is it the same thing each time or different? What is it about each item ahead that says, “Look here.” Or “Turn here.” Jot down what happened in a few sentences. Then consider a word or two that inspired your curiosity. Put the place and the emotional inspiration into phrases for a short poem. Read the sentences and the poem and try to include stronger verbs and some repeated sounds. Write it. Share it with a friend.

Part Two

Have some fun with alliteration— repeated first consonant sounds. Ken Nesbit at Poetry4Kids shares an activity for tongue twisters and poetry. How To Write A Tongue Twister

About Daffodils