Slice of Life Yellow Delights

Writing Inspiration

Arriving hope one evening, the fairies looked to be dancing in our yard, yet I know that the delightful yellow glow is from the lovely daffodils, still so beautiful in the night light. And there were the two rhyming words, delight and night— perfect for a couplet.

Writing Process

So I began writing my poem. First draft, a sentence— the first element of a couplet, which is to express a complete thought. Second draft with a better verb: glow. But then I noticed the syllables and rhyming. I’m attempting a couplet [Couplet, defined]. Although couplets do not need to rhyme, I’d already chosen the end for my two lines: night, delight. But— a couplet needs a flow, established through syllables and their accents. Here’s my revision process while analyzing the syllables and accents:

Poetry

Yellow Brights

I love how, even at night
daffodils, ever delight.

Sheri Edwards
032822 088.365.22
Poetry/Photography

Your Turn

Take a moment to read about couplets [ and examples here ].

Read over your journal or take a five minutes to write about something important or surprising to you.

Read a few more of the couplet examples to notice the flow of syllables and accents, and perhaps rhyme.

Review your writing for context words and possible connections that show the importance of your topic to express in a complete thought. Write your sentence, then begin to adjust the flow. If you want a rhyming couplet, look for synonyms that may provide a rhyme.

Annotate your syllables and accents as in the example above, and rearrange, add, replace your word choice so your syllables and accents match in two lines that express a complete thought.

Remember: rhyming is not required— it just becomes a rhyming couplet if it does.

Resources:

2 Comments

on “Slice of Life Yellow Delights
2 Comments on “Slice of Life Yellow Delights