Why I Write #WriteOut

National Day On Writing

October 20th of every year is The National Day On Writing sponsored by National Council of Teachers of English [NCTE] and  encouraged by The National Writing Project:

Every October 20, NCTE celebrates the importance, joy, and evolution of writing through a tweetup, using the hashtag #WhyIWrite with events hosted by thousands of educators across the country. Visit  NCTE for resources and link to the latest hashtag conversation.

So this post considers, Why I Write…. and is part of  #writeout from the National Writing Project / National Park Service two week celebration of parks and the outdoors, Click the links for many ways and several places and different prompts to explore and write about the outdoors. So, why do I write?

A Walk in the Woods

My initial response for “Why I Write is this one: Why I Write, and starts with the image of a calligraphic note of a quote from author Isaac Asimov:

To many of us, writing helps us think through our experiences in the world and with the people and events in it. As I considered this post I looked at one of the suggested prompts for #WriteOut from the National Park Service: “A Walk in the Woods.” The image there reminded me of our many walks through the woods of our area– be it the local parks or the forests north of us– or the “woods” of the sagebrush country surrounding our town.

Our area is filled with lovely wildflowers and I often snap a photo of the tiniest flowers, like this small crocus from March.

We try to keep our yard as native possible, filled with Oregon grape and other plants that birds and insects love. Every wildflower I see I wonder if they could grow in our yard. And since the wild critters of our small town wander their way through the yard — deer, skunk, raccoon, etc., we end up with some new additions to our yard that are wild flowers, such as rose campion and curry plant. Such a delight to discover! When spring arrives, I just let the garden sprout until I know what the plant is, and whether I should keep it. And, I write:

Why I Write

The most delighted I’ve been was when the little yellow clover-like flowers began to sprout beside the front porch steps, which face the sunrise each morning. The little leaves and the bright yellow flowers open up in greeting and welcome another beautiful day. The little wood sorrel is one of the reasons for why I write. Although they look like clover, it is Oxalis, or sourgrass. The leaves fold up at night and open in the morning, and they are edible. I’ve written about them often, and yes, I write to remember the joy they give and their lesson:

Why I Write, If only

to remember
the yellow rays of a floral, sorrel sun
and its unfolding, opening hearts
blessing each of us
in open welcome each morning
and cuddling in, each night:
a life lesson
to remember

Sheri Edwards
102021 29336521
Poetry/Photography
@grammasheri
wood sorrel

And when I write, I create art:

Your turn: Why do you write?

2 Comments

on “Why I Write #WriteOut
2 Comments on “Why I Write #WriteOut
    • Indeed, Terry. “To write is to act.” And it sets us free. When I started teaching, I thought “reading” was the power that would empower my students. But quickly, with their smiles and invented spelling expressing their own first grade thoughts and pride of communicating their ideas— the little ones taught me that writing is the real empowerment. And so, like you, writing – in all forms— became the focus of my teaching. Best to you, super hero! ~Sheri