WriteOut Seed Launcher

WriteOut Daily Create

Today’s WriteOut Daily Create —

#clmooc #DS106  @ds106dc   #tdc3929 #writeout is to “Make a Seed Bomb Launcher” — although in some other form besides seeds.

I choose a way to “scatter seeds of kindness” through postcards and created the above How To page with examples to help the postcard maker get started.

Scatter seeds of kindness with postcards to your family, friends, or neighbors — a how to

GRAMMASHERI

Another idea for sending postcards is to send Postcards for Peace, a #clmooc March activity.

WriteOut Digital Journal

Today we walked along Banks Lake, following the a lovely waterfowl swimming near shore.

Obviously, Scott and I know little about the waterfowl of our local area. This little one skims across the water and dives, disappearing –barely visible– and rapidly swimming under water, popping up far from its original position. We watched it for a long while. It has a black head, dark eyes and beak, a bit of white on the back lower neck and a bit of white on its tail. Its breast is white with a center black vertical “V” stripe. Here’s a zoomed in look– very poor quality.

waterfowl-- black head, beak, and eyes with white bit on tail and a bit behind its head; white breast with black "v" in center swimming on Banks Lake, WA

We spent a few hours looking online at Cornell, Audubon, AllAboutBirds, and other bird identification sites and apps, but could not find this bird– except on a site that did not label the bird! I’ve got my Instagram looking for what it is by connecting with people I know study the birds of the area.

But it was fun watching it– trying to watch its shadow or shape swimming underwater– it looked like a fish! It was fast and graceful. I knew the little waterfowl would be a poem.

Swimmer Skimmer

Little waterfowl
skimming across the water
suddenly diving, disappearing
beneath the surface
barely a shadow racing
through the water
just as suddenly popping up
far from where it started
skimming across the water
little waterfowl

Sheri Edwards
10.16.22 291.365.22
Poetry/Photography

This post is part of the October WRITEOUT adventure of the National Writing Project and the National Park Service — a STEAM-powered Write Out 2022. Organized as a public invitation to get out and create, supported by a series of free online activities, Write Out invites educators, students, and families to explore national parks and other public spaces. The goal is to connect and learn through place-based writing and sharing. Learn more and sign up: https://writeout.nwp.org

2 Comments

on “WriteOut Seed Launcher
2 Comments on “WriteOut Seed Launcher