Coffee or Tea

Larger Size on Flickr

Writing Inspiration

Today I liked the sound of “Coffee, Cream, and Keurig” and remembered how I once hated coffee. Really— it’s not tasty. I drank tea. So how did coffee become a morning drink— mornings and beyond? That is this poem. I chose to keep in the brand name— it’s part of the alliteration and the photo. I’m not publishing it for profit, just a memory.

Writing Process

Today I simply focused on the transition— the change from the meditative quality I find in tea to the conversation I found with coffee. It’s simply memory snippets— a few notations that lead to a change.

I did change the order— at first I said, Coffee, Keurig, Cream. But then in my haiku I chose the single syllable word “beg” to fit the line, and “beg” almost rhymes with “Keurig.”

Poetry

Coffee, Cream, Keurig

In days before, Mom and Dad drank coffee. All day. Ugh. It tastes like dirt. A sip with cream with a chocolate dessert adds to a dinner date night. Never put coffee IN chocolate desserts. Again, that’s dirt.

Years ago, as a truck driver, my husband’s beverage all day in the thermos: black coffee.

Tea with delightful names provide a soothing mood: Sky Between the Branches, Tea of Inquiry, Dragon Oolong, Dragon Well, Organic Dancing Leaves.

Retirement brought every morning a delightful time with husband, coffee, and conversation. His, black; Mine, with cream.

So now… it’s coffee, cream, and Keurig most of the day. Tea slips in for enlightenment, while coffee stirs the imagination. Is it true?

Boiling water, leaves,
Mindfulness,but mornings beg
Coffee, cream, Keurig

Sheri Edwards
040522 096.365.22
Poetry/Photography

Your Turn

Think of some area in which you’ve changed your mind about something. Maybe a soda pop, perhaps a type of shoe, or a TV show. What was that progression of change— suggestion from a friend? Bored and nothing else to watch? Conversations with family? You could make it a list poem— starting with the first thoughts and ending with your changed thoughts on the topic you’ve chosen. Then, try a haiku to capture the change at the end of the second line and moving through to the third line. Don’t worry about the syllables [5 7 5] as you’re learning.