Slice of Life Sprouts

Writing Inspiration

Earlier this month I doodled and wrote a haiku on the tiger lilies in our back yard. Well, they are lilies, and I thought they were tiger lilies. I discovered they are often called tiger day lilies [Hemerocallis fulva], so I am close.

As said previously, these have not bloomed as profusely as in many prior years, so I was worried that the deer had finally eaten them away. But look! They are sprouting again, and I am delighted, if only knowing they still live, despite the fact, sadly, that the mule deer will probably nibble the buds and prevent their blooms. 

Still, the lovely green of their fresh new leaves inspire joy for me, and I hope now for you.

Writing Process

As I walked through the yard looking for spring, I stopped in delight at these bright, light green leaves pushing out of the warm earth. I imagined a sleeping bulb awakening, stretching up and out to find the sun, pushing fresh leaves out above the soil. And that became my poem, my haiku, giving the lily it’s own exuberance to shout for us, “It’s Spring!”

Poetry

Sprouts

A stretch up and out
Punching through spring moistened earth
Lily’s green shouts “Spring.”

Sheri Edwards
032122 080.365.22
Poetry/Photography

Your Turn

Look for spring. Find an instance, be it a plant, a rain shower, or children’s laughter to be out running in warmer weather. Write a bit about what you see— turn it into an action and a feeling. My sprouts “punched” their way out and “shouted.” What will your spring moment or event do? I gave it joy in an overwhelming shout— how will you express your feeling?

Note: If you take a picture of children, find a way to do so without faces showing to protect their privacy. Perhaps add an effect while just showing the action of their feet or hands, without faces. Or, find a Creative Commons image of a similar activity to use. You may need to have permission. These Edublogs posts may help you.