Day 35 Warming Hope

TEA

There’s something soothing

holding a warm cup of tea;

sunshine hides in clouds.

I’ve written about before– how important the little things are.

When the clouds crowd together over the sun, the bright sky dims, but holding a fresh cup or mug of tea or coffee, steaming aroma filling the dark with its light memories of past comforts, calms the mind and soul.

PROMPT:

What is your comfort? Can you draw it? describe it? poem it?  Try it!

The poem above is a haiku: learn how to write one here [Kenn Nesbitt ] and here [The Writing Cooperative ].

The basic form is a poem of 17 syllables in three lines, the first and last are 5 syllables and the middle line is seven syllables:

TEA

5 syllables:  There’s some-thing sooth-ing

7 syllables:  hold-ing a warm cup of tea;

5 syllables: sun-shine hides in clouds.

Usually they are about life or nature and happen now, in-the-moment. Often the first line is a phrase of the setting, and the next two are one sentence that tells a story, with a shift in emotion or tension.

In my poem, I reversed that, I guess. My first two lines are a sentence [There’s something soothing holding a cup of tea.]  But then I switch the mood in a phrase about the sunshine hiding [sunshine hides in clouds.].  Let’s see if I can improve it:

Sunshine hides in clouds–

holding a warm cup of tea

my shoulders relax.

Or

Sunshine hides in clouds–

holding a warm cup of tea

lightens my worries.

Or

Sunshine hides in clouds–

holding a warm cup of tea

sunshine in my hands.

Which one do you like?  Go ahead and try—

I like the examples in the Writing Connection haiku how-to— give it a try, and remember that each poem is a step to getting better; the point is to write and try, not be perfect, because life is not perfect either, and a poem records our daily moments to remember and focus our hopes.

About this post:

Be safe out there. Find ways to help yourself, your family, and others keep going! We can do this together!

April is time for NaPoWriMo — National Poetry Writing Monthtry a bit of poetry and art to encourage others to be safe with each other. Something short. Something inclusive. Something of spring and hope. #NaPoWriMo/#GloPoWriMo

The Academy of Poets encourages us to write #shelterinpoems. Get some ideas there and share your own.

Tons of information can be found at Poets.orgNational Poetry Month and here: Virtual Programs.

National Council of Teachers of English also offers suggestions here.