Day 31 The Dance of the Quail

A Couple in the Covey

Quail

She pecks and wanders;

he ducks under wind fallen

branches past purple

periwinkle; his plume bobs;

while he puffs up his red chest.

A spring dance of quail

romance; back and forth, around

again and again,

a bob, bob, bobbing along—

new couple in the covey.

About California Quail in Washington

Prompt:

Take a moment outside, on the stoop or in your backyard. Look and observe. What do you see and hear? An ant in the crack in the concrete? A bumble bee climbing the periwinkle? A sparrow on a window box? A child drawing in chalk?

Tell the story.  Try a tanka poem, no rhyme needed!

About this post:

Be safe out there. Find ways to help yourself, your family, and others keep going! We can do this together!

April is time for NaPoWriMo — National Poetry Writing Monthtry a bit of poetry and art to encourage others to be safe with each other. Something short. Something inclusive. Something of spring and hope. #NaPoWriMo/#GloPoWriMo

The Academy of Poets encourages us to write #shelterinpoems. Get some ideas there and share your own.

Tons of information can be found at Poets.orgNational Poetry Month and here: Virtual Programs.

National Council of Teachers of English also offers suggestions here.

2 Comments

on “Day 31 The Dance of the Quail
2 Comments on “Day 31 The Dance of the Quail
  1. Sheri, I’ve never seen a quail in my life before – thank you for that sweet video! Today I see snow outside my window (IL… April…), but I will be sure to look for the cardinal and his mate at the feeder. 🙂

• Hi Joy,
      We’ve had cold weather here as well — and some much needed rain blew in with a wind storm. I’m glad that little quail bobbed along my back porch so I could share it with you! The red cardinal I’ve ever seen was at Montecello years ago when I visited there. So perhaps you can share a picture of that beautiful creature ~ ~Sheri