Curation: Weaving the Web

Is that a powerful statement?

I read that today in Helen DeWaard’s post “The Web We Weave.” It’s from January, 2018, and I’d saved it in my Diigo lists to read and annotate later. Her explanation of that is what inspired me:

That idea of reaching out to others as connected learners is exactly what we do to learn and improve our practice or profession.

• What ideas are there?
  • Who else has tried this?
  • What’s another version or strategy?
  • How does it play out in real experiences?

We seek our answers and converse and share with others through blogs, Twitter, online communities. We make sense of the information and adapt and remix to fit our own situation. We share out what we’ve learned. It’s a process of curation in a community of practice.

I decided to follow her leads to Jennifer Casa-Todd, which led me to Stephen Dale and he to Harold Jarche. Diigo was my friend, keeping track of my highlights to help me curate to understand why this is so important.

Two ideas wove through the information:

curation and community

I sometimes become so overwhelmed with the bots and trolls that I want to quit the Internet. However, my last ten years of teaching have been inspired by the many shared experiences and practices of the educators in my online communities; the people in those communities informed my practice, providing me with answers and knowledge, resources and tools to improve the learning and agency of my students, and I, perhaps, provided the same for them in our conversations. So I must eliminate the noise and amplify the signal by focusing on those communities of people who also struggle with the massive and misinformed information.

Curation provides a process of seeking, sensing, and sharing in our communities, through Twitter hashtags, and in our blogs, appropriate and relevant resources to engage our minds and actions wherever our passions lead us. Curation allows us to weave the web we want through our communities of practice. Curation and Community are the most relevant and most important elements of digital literacy today.

Thanks to the amazing people I learned from today:

Helen DeWaard, Jennifer Casa-Todd, Stephen Dale, and Harold Jarche

Please reflect with me on my notes through this annotated slideshow of what I learned, sharing the most important words and resources — following the seek-sense-share ideas of Harold Jarche and Stephen Dale.

This is a continuation of #blogging28 and my February Goals.

This post explains how I weave the web in a curated learning path inspired by Helen DeWaard’s post “The Web We Weave.”

Posts have been added to  curation and for the series curation19 tags.

#modigiwri More Digital Writing

Quote screenshots by Sheri 

2 Comments

on “Curation: Weaving the Web
2 Comments on “Curation: Weaving the Web