Open is Fun – It is hope #teachtheweb

Just have to get this out. This is how kids feel, and what kids want in school: the chance to learn by making. Really, that’s how I’ve learned to write and how to do anything. It’s so interesting, exciting, engaging, and I don’t want to stop.

My new friend Emma Irwin and I just discussed this in our Google Hangout to hash out our mashout for the Mozilla #teachtheweb project. She showed me github and her part of our collaboration by screensharing; made feel like I could do that to, especially since my students and I have been playing with Mozilla thimbles. Now I do have to say that remember the days of Claris Home Page — anyone reading remember that?

So in our #teachtheweb community, Emma posted a request for collaborators just as I read a tweet that Week 3 was to collaborate. I hopped right in, and as usual, the one word we’re talking about is true:  OPEN. Yes, join. Yes, you’re welcome to join. Yes. That’s the HOPE of OPEN: welcome, open, transparent, sharing, reviewing, critiquing, creating, reviewing, revising, revising to creation so others can re-create it. Janet Webster was Chief Reviewer to the brainstorm crew of Emma and Sheri, and Vivek Ananth also joined in.

It’s a great collaborative endeavor, with each of us adding our own particular strengths to bringing the project to fruition. That’s collaboration. It’s not done yet, but I just wanted share the fun of it — and the learning that occurred because of it. I learned about code, design, reflection, collaboration, privacy, and copyright. More on that in a different post.

Right now: here’s what you have to look forward to:

We are remixing, mashing-up the ideas in Clint Lalonde’s post: Open is a noun, verb, adjective, and an Attitude, which Emma directed us too. We discussed in our community post, brainstormed in EtherPad, and mashed our words and ideas with his into our github ( Open is Attitude and Hope — final ready Fri, May 17 ) and video (Open is Attitude; Open is Hope ). Clint wrote a follow-up post which tells of the power of openness, learning together: Remix My Words. He says, “Needless to say, seeing my work used, reused and remixed in this way makes this open educator very happy.” The thing is, we’re so happy he licensed his blog for us to learn better by reworking the words to better understand them. As my friend, Ben Wilkoff, says, “We’re in teaching to be better.

Thanks to Emma, Janet, Vivek, and Clint for another wonderful collaborative project found and developed by being open and sharing.  Thank you for the experience.

Our Video (audio to be added later):

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

FYI:
The video was created in Keynote, a presentation app for the Mac and iOS.

4 Comments

on “Open is Fun – It is hope #teachtheweb
4 Comments on “Open is Fun – It is hope #teachtheweb
  1. Pingback: #teactheweb week 3 (Open Web) | Emma Irwin

2. Pingback: So Consider Openness | So. Consider

3. Very happy to have contributed to the project! It’s a good illustration of what is possible when people both a) license their content with an open license (like Creative Commons) that allows it to be used and b) when others are willing to take that content and use it as a place to start when creating something new. Thanks for taking my a to your b :).

• I am also explaining all this to our School Board, so I’m glad we were able to connect with your information and create something new. Without your basic thoughts, expressed so succinctly, we may not have been able to do so. I need to add the license to my blog as well, because this is what I hope for all uf us to experience, a community spirit making our worlds better. Thanks.